“She believed she could do it, so she did.”

Sunday, March 4, 2012

POG days: The Caveman Days


I and my cousins accidentally dug down memory lane as they were asking for POGs the other day and I knew that my younger brother has loads of them (a big plastic bag filled with POGs and Texts). If you have no idea what I’m talking about, POGs are those small disks which have pictures or whatnots at its front and back part. Like of a badge however it doesn’t have a pin. And the Texts (I don’t even know if that is how it spells, but they’re playing cards or trading cards)


Kids usually play with them or trade them or use it for whatever kind of game they come up.

Oh, I could see the old days back. Me and my older brother used to play these toys, as well back in the 90’s before the millennium hit and it extended until the millennium right before we graduated grade school. And I admit that we used to collect them and end up in a competition of who owns more and who has better ones. Decades after and POGs are again alive.

Players take turns in hitting an equally contributed number of POGs stacked together. A player will have to strike the top of the pile of POGs and if ever there are ones which get separated or scattered from the stack, then the one who struck it will have them. Oh gosh I don’t know if I explained it right but I am leaving it that way coz thinking about how it’s being played is giving me a little bit of headache. (coz this night seemed to be odd that I can feel the boredom swallowing me)


Okay before I end up incessantly droning here I should now go back to what the real subject was of this article.
Though a piece of POG doesn’t really cost much, seeing how many pieces we have here at home makes me think, we have spent loads on this one. And I realized we couldn’t just give these things away or make money out of them because I am a memory saver and seriously these are collectibles now, though we could still buy some new ones coz it goes out of style for a while then comes back to life again just like anything else.


I do remember I and Mike also used to have the Coca Cola POGs and they meant so much to us but as years passed by and coz we moved from one house to another I no longer have any idea where they are. But during Raffy’s grade school days, the Coca Cola POGs came back rose again to popularity and he began collecting them again. And here are some of the ones I found.





They actually feature the POGMAN – POG mascot who i guess happened to be a caveman. 
I’d like to have one (and they actually have one in ebay right now).

Back in our days (gosh it sounds so ancient… It gives me goose bumps) for us to have these kind of POGs we have to drink lots of Coca Cola and exchange the crowns for them. Of course, I am not actually the one who trades them, Mom does.

Television shows and movies also do have POG’s like the Pokemon, Transformer, Ninja Turtles, and much more.

The craving to buy these flat discs starts at grade school and young as they are, they could already enjoy collecting their very first set of collectible if they do know their worth.

So there goes the POG story. I do hope you enjoyed reading or reminiscing your POG days as well. ^_^


2 comments:

  1. hahaha, we all had.. who didn't have one? (definitely isn't cool)

    ReplyDelete